It has become one of the most popular types of aerobics in North America and it is practiced by roughly 14 million people every week, in 140,000 locations, across 185 countries on Earth.
Zumba got its start in the late 1990s when Beto Perez left a tape of aerobics music for a class he was teaching at home. He went to his car and listened to music, consisting of traditional salsa and improvised a class based on that. After success in Colombia, he moved it to the United States in 2001 and the company he created, Fitness Quest, quickly took off.
What is it?
Zumba sessions last for about an hour and are taught by instructors who are licensed by Zumba Academy. The exercises involve music that have fast and slow rhythms, combined with resistance training. There are several different types of Zumba classes that one can take:
- Zumba Gold: Meant for an older population.
- Zumba Toning: A workout that involves toning sticks.
- Aqua Zumba: Zumba in a swimming pool.
- ZumbaKids: This is for children between the ages of four and 12.
- Zumba Gold Toning: For older individuals who want to improve their muscle strength and mobility.
- Zumba Sentao: This is a chair-based workout using body weight to tone the muscles.
- Zumba Circuit: This involves dance with circuit training.
One of the best things about Zumba is that it is safe for all ages because there are classes available for every age group from children all the way to elderly individuals.
Overall, Zumba will help people build strength, improve motion and posture, while allowing people to socialize.
What are the benefits of Zumba?
There are many benefits to Zumba, for anyone who decides to take part. These benefits are:
- First, there is total body toning. In a Zumba class, you will engage the use of your muscles, including through the use of squats and lunges through the dancing.
- Another benefit is the fact that it is highly enjoyable and that keeps people coming back. One problem other fitness classes have is that they do not tend to be fun. The lack of enjoyment results in people not wanting to come back and that means their fitness plan fails. With Zumba, it is very enjoyable and you want to keep coming back to it.
- You get excellent results from Zumba. Many people lose a lot of weight from Zumba, even as much as 75 pounds, all by just having fun from working out to music and dancing.
- As has already been stated, Zumba works for all ages. There is Zumba for kids as young as four, and Zumba for elderly individuals who are approaching 90 or more. This makes it the perfect fitness regime for anyone who wants to get healthy at any age.
- If you are feeling stressed, Zumba can help you deal with stress. There are few betters ways to get rid of stress than with Zumba. When you exercise, you will end up releasing endorphins into your body, which will make you feel happy and any stress that you felt, will just go away.
- You don’t need to be capable of running of 200 stairs without breaking a sweat to do Zumba. Zumba can be adapted to any fitness level. No matter your weight and how much you worked out previously, Zumba can be adapted to you.
- Socializing is important for people to do and unlike other classes of fitness that have you working out alone, you are able to work out together with people who will quickly become your friends. Attending Zumba glasses on a regular basis are a great way to meet with people.
- Your coordination will be improved greatly. In order to do Zumba, you will become more and more aware of your body and you will need to have good coordination to do that. Good coordination is also important if you are getting older.
- By doing Zumba, you are going to have greater confidence because of the changes happening to both your body and your mood. With greater confidence, you will feel better about yourself and you will continue to want to go to Zumba classes to lose weight and be healthy for years to come.
Zumba is a great way to lose weight, meet people and get healthy. All it takes is you finding a class and making the commitment to get started in Zumba.